Thursday, December 3, 2009

I'll take the Mitte for the block, please

Sorry for the "Hollywood Squares" reference. Unless you liked it, of course! This blog entry is brought to you by Kostritzer schwarzbier, a light and refreshing black lager with just a hint of toastiness. Schwarzbier: When you want to be black.



Hey mom, I made some new friends! Meet Mr. Marx and Mr. Engels.



The almost comically colossal Berliner Dom, a Protestant church meant to be Germany's answer to St. Peter's in Rome. It was built when Hitler was only a child, but its sheer size fits in with the Fuhrer's desire to fill Berlin with enormously oversized structures that would eventually transform the city into a showplace of pure might. I understand the interior is splendid, but you have to buy a ticket? To enter a church? Martin Luther would never stop throwing up.



The Berliner Dom again, framed by the columns of a nearby museum.



I think we can all agree this horse-on-lion violence has gone on too long.



No, I didn't buy it, but I was tempted.



One of two Christmas markets I visited today. Lots of tasty things to eat and drink. And skating rinks! I think I'll go for a spin later, if I can get the cashier to watch my stuff.



Like many of the public buildings in Berlin, the Staatsoper, site of tonight's "Die Fledermaus" is on the Unter den Linden ("Under the Linden trees") in the city's middle, or "Mitte." It seems ancient compared to last night's sleek Komische venue.



Humboldt University. I think Marx went to school here. Back me up on that.



Certainement, there is a Galeries Lafayette in Berlin.



I think I found my grocery store on this street. It’s called Netto, where I bought some eggs and bread, along with a 16-ounce bottle of beer that cost 35 cents. Oh, and something called “Sana,” resembling margarine. (I’d love to have been in the room when that pitch was made: “It’s the capital of Yemen, sir. Bound to be a big hit.") The German yeasts have always been something of an enigma to me, and I can’t honestly say there’s a German beer that I’m crazy about, but maybe that will change on this trip.


Today's image dump is below. The singer is Evelyn Kerr, a housewife in Northern California. Do not ask me how I know this.

dec.13 from Sluggh McGee on Vimeo.

3 comments:

  1. Another fun day. You gotta get that hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, what kinds of tasty things to eat and drink are available at the Xmas markets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that cute dog with the bowtie on the Netto sign!

    ReplyDelete